Inmate Services Overview
Includes banking, mail, telephone, visitation and other information.
Find more information on specific services provided to inmates. Toggle the selector to learn more.
- Cashier Kiosk in lobby of Correctional Facility. The kiosk accepts only cash or credit\debit cards.
- Online at www.accesscorrections.com. This site accepts debit or credit cards with a minimum deposit of $25.00. The fee schedule is shown below.
- Toll Free Number: 866-394-0490
District Court first appearances are held Monday through Friday at 3:00 PM.
First appearances include new charges, probable cause warrants, and bench warrants scheduled in Pro-Tem court.
Municipal Court is scheduled:
Monday at 8:45 AM
Tuesday at 1:00 PM
Wednesday at 8:45 AM
Thursday at 8:45 AM
Friday at 1:00 PM
Civilians can come to the Douglas County Correctional Facility for the hearing or attend a video conference at the specific court location.
Douglas County Correctional Facility Address:
3601 E 25th Street
Lawrence, KS 66046-5616
- Please put the inmate’s full legal name on your correspondence. Those letters that reach the facility after an inmate has been released will be returned to sender.
- Only letters sent by the U.S. Postal Service will be accepted.
- No hand delivered notes will be accepted.
- Inmates are prohibited from corresponding or receiving mail from another inmate in the facility or any other correctional facility or secured treatment center.
- All non-privileged mail will be opened for contraband.
- All non-privileged mail containing information as it relates to safety and security of the facility remains subject to censorship.
- Correspondence identified as legal or privileged will be opened in front of the inmate.
- Mail will be delivered according to an established schedule – tentatively once a day during the business week.
- Postage stamps may be purchased through commissary and will not be accepted from any other source.
- Bulk mail will be returned to sender.
- Sexually explicit mail/material will be considered contraband and placed in an inmate’s property.
- Indigent inmates will be allowed to mail two (2) post cards each week without cost.
The Corrections Division inmate telephone service is contracted with Inmate Calling Solutions for all outgoing telephone calls. These phone calls are collect. Inmate Calling Solutions contact information is as follows:
Prepaid Services: 1-888-506-8407
Phone Billing: 1-800-736-7500
If someone you know if being held at the Douglas County Correctional Facility, their first 30 second phone call is free. This call will also provide you with information to set up an account if you wish to continue with their service.
For questions about current billing prices from our facility to your home or cell number, you will need to call the phone billing number above.
In an effort to help with family reintegration the Douglas County Correctional Facility provides inmates with the opportunity to visit with family and friends.
All visits will be scheduled based on policies for visitation as set forth by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.
Registration is mandatory in order to participate in a visitation session with an inmate at this facility:
- Registration online/home can be completed by visiting ICSolutions.com
- Registration kiosk are available to the public and professional staff in the lobby of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office Correctional Facility
- All visitors must preregister to visit an inmate
- Registration must be completed 24 hours prior to the visit
- Information gathered during registration:
Allows the visitation system to recognize your rights as a visitor at this facility
Ensures the visitors are authorized to participate in a visit and have been approved by the facility for future visits
The Visitation Scheduling process will:
- Ensure that Video visitation equipment is available for your visit
- That only approved people can visit with an inmate at this facility
Visitor Registration Instruction Guide:
- From Internet device go to ICSolutions.com
- Log into your ICSolutions Pre-Paid Account or click enter your information and create an account
- Select the option to register for video
- Enter the facility name
- Enter the inmates last name or ID number
- Select your relationship to the inmate
- Fill in the required fields to complete your profile
- Click register
- Click Done
- Visitation System Visitor Scheduling Instructions Guide
- Log into your ICSolutions Pre-Paid Account
- Click Schedule New Visit
- Enter the facility name
- Read the rules and Click Agree to continue
- Enter inmate name or ID number
- Select the location you will visit from
- Select an available date
- Select an available time slot
- Click Done
- Confirm all Information is Correct
- Click Confirm
- Click Done
- Your visits will be displayed on the home screen of your account.
- To cancel your visit Click Cancel.
Home Video Visits:
- Once you have completed registration you can continue on to schedule visits.
- If you are planning on visiting from home, you will need to confirm that you have sufficient funds in your Pre-Paid account (Off-site Visits cost $3.00 for a 30minute visit) in order to schedule a visit.
- If you need to add funds simply click the “Fund” button visit.
- Next select the payment method
- Enter Payment amount.
- Children up to 17 years of age must have a parent or guardian present during visitation.
- Visitation dates and times are subject to change or cancellation without notice if situations arise that compromise the safety and/or security of the facility, staff, inmates and/or visitors.
- Visitors will be allowed to log into the visitation system within 5 minutes before starting of the visitation.
- Visitors that log into the visit after 10 minutes will be cancelled and funds will not be refunded to the visitor.
- All visitors must behave in a responsible manner.
- No recording of visitation is allowed.
Visitation may be denied, cancelled and/or suspended if the visitor:
- Visitor wearing clothing deemed inappropriate
- Uses obscene or profane language
- Is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Visitor on a No-Contact list or Witness/Victim list.
- Creating and using false accounts to visit with inmates.
- A medical screening questionnaire is completed when arrestee/inmate is brought into the facility. Recent injuries, chronic medical problems, as well as acute illnesses, are addressed at this time.
- Physicals are performed on each inmate within 14 days of custody.
- Prescription medications are confirmed through the arrestee/inmate’s personal physician, hospital, and or clinic. These physician approved medications are reviewed by our facility physician and/or psychiatrist, and initiated if doctor approved.
- Over the counter medications are provided as necessary.
- Diabetic testing is continued by medical staff when ordered by the physician.
- Other specialty treatments/areas include – EKG (heart tracings), wound care, breathing treatments, IV therapy and laboratory testing.
- Medical referrals to appropriate specialists, (dentist, physical therapy, oncologist, etc…) are offered when the clinic physician deems necessary.
Those who have been committed to the correctional facility through a scheduled court order, for any period of time, may preregister through medical. If wishing to preregister so that medications and treatment are continued, please do the following:
- Contact your doctor(s).
- Notify doctor(s) that they need to coordinate with Douglas County Correctional Medical Staff at (785) 830-1023.
- Notify doctor(s) that they will need to fax information on your current medications and treatments before your scheduled commitment date.
COMMUNITY EDUCATION ON COMMUNICABLE DISEASE
Communicable diseases are addressed in three ways within the Douglas County Correctional Facility:
- Prevention/education of staff.
- Reporting/disease tracking of inmate illnesses.
- Education of inmates.
General education on Communicable Disease Transmission Prevention within the Douglas County Correctional Facility:
- Visual detection of or if an inmate is complaining of a wound, open sore, bug bite, and/or drainage, swelling or blood with open sore then notify medical unit immediately.
- Officers are to always wear gloves. Gloves, vinyl or latex, are to be worn when having any contact with an inmate. All inmates should be considered potentially contagious whenever direct contact is anticipated with blood, body fluids, non-intact skin and mucous membranes.
- Practice good hand hygiene. Adequate hand hygiene is the simplest effective infection control measure for preventing and containing infections. Hands should be washed for at least 15 seconds using warm soap and water.
- Staff and Inmates are to utilize cleaning solutions provided within the facility for general cleaning and sanitation of any areas that could have been contaminated.
What to expect:
- Do not wait until the day of your next court appearance to have required processing conducted.
- Treat booking officers with courtesy, they are not the reason why you have been charged or ordered to processing.
- Correctional facility processing is more than just “pictures and prints”.
- Officers are required to accurately record basic personal history information. No questions will be asked about the specifics of the case in which you have been charged.
- Each person is patted down before entering the booking area, this is our policy to ensure a safe and secure facility.
- Our expectation is your cooperation with this process. Lack of cooperation will only delay and lengthen your time within the facility in order for us to gather information required.
Do’s and Don’ts:
Processing usually takes about one hour, though it may take longer depending on the workload. Order of processing is done only between the hours of 8 A.M to 1 P.M. Consider calling ahead, though appointments will not be made.
- Court Documents
- Social Security number information
Do Not Bring:
- Tobacco products
Less property mean less processing time. Do not come to the facility for processing if you are sick, ill, injured or under the influence of intoxicants. You will not be accepted.
The Transport Division is a division within the Douglas County Correctional Facility. Its sole responsibility is to transport inmates in a safe, secure, humane, and legal manner. Reasons for inmate transports vary from medical appointments to prison housing placement. This division consists of one lieutenant, one sergeant and three full time deputies.