An important part of the Sheriff’s Office Mission is a commitment to professional excellence and continued personal improvement. It is our policy to maintain a comprehensive training program that addresses the educational and developmental needs of our employees. This task is the responsibility of the Training Division.
The Training Division’s duties include:
- Testing job applicants
- Providing initial training for newly hired employees
- Coordinating annual refresher training for staff
- Overseeing training that is mandated by statute, standard, or regulation
- Delivering emergency or specialty training
- Encouraging staff professional growth by identifying their interest areas and assisting in their development as trained resources and instructors
- Maintaining departmental and individual training records
- Meeting the statutory training requirements for our commissioned officers
Training is presented using a variety of instructional methods:
- In-house training provided by staff instructors
- Area specialists brought in as instructors
- On-the-job training with assigned staff members
- Video, computer, satellite, or other multi-media training sources
- Professionally sponsored classes, schools, seminars, and conferences
- Self-directed study using department and outside resources
Training topics are many and varied with some being highly specialized.
A partial list includes:
Harassment Free Workplace, Interpersonal Communications, Interview/Interrogation Techniques, Effective Report Writing, Supervisor Development, Computer Skills, Defensive Tactics, Firearms Qualification, Non-lethal Weapon Use, Emergency Vehicle Operation, Accident Investigation, Crime Scene Processing, Constitutional Law, Basic Emergency Medical Skills, and more.
Many of our employees earn and maintain certifications in a number of areas including CPR/AED, Radar/Lidar Operator, Taser Operator, Intoxilyzer Operator, Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, Dive Rescue/Recovery, K-9 Handler, Emergency Medical, and various Instructor Certifications.