The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office maintains a “Deer List,” a list of county residents we can call to respond and remove deer that are killed in non-hunting situations such as car accidents. In many instances the deer meat is in good enough condition to be salvaged by the remover, but the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office makes no representations or warranties that it is. Douglas County residents who meet the following requirements may apply to be added to the list. Applicants must be 18 years of age, have a valid Kansas driver’s license or ID, and have access to a vehicle when called to pick up a deer. Only one person per household may be on the list.
Applicants must accept the following conditions:
- The Deer List is a revolving list. The name at the top of the list is called and then is moved to the bottom of the list, whether they agree to respond, decline responding, or can’t be reached.
- Calls for deer pick up may come anytime day or night.
- Once you agree to respond, you must do so in a timely manner.
- The deer must be removed “as is” with no field dressing at the scene.
- A Sheriff’s Deputy will be present at the scene and will provide a deer tag authorizing possession, but you must be prepared to remove the deer without any assistance from the deputy.
- Deer List participants must complete a Waiver, Release and Indemnification Agreement form before being placed on the Deer List.
If you understand and agree to these conditions, download the application below or we can send you the application. Complete the application and have your signature notarized before submitting. Deliver the completed application by hand or mail to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, 111 E 11th Street, Lawrence, Kansas 66044. For your convenience, we can notarize the form if you submit it in person, as long as you bring a current photo ID. Contact us if you have any questions.